Sunday, February 18, 2018

Indecision


I hate in-between weather because it makes it hard to decide what and where to ride. Saturday's forecast was for 35 degree weather will snow late in the day. It was going to be warmer Sunday but there might be snow on the ground and the roads so it might be hard to ride anywhere. I didn't see any posts or emails from anybody about rides. I wanted to get out on the road but Saturday would be too cold, for me, and Sunday might be too snowy. So I watched the weather and on Friday night decided not to decide until Saturday morning.

Saturday morning when I got up the forecast wasn't really any more definite. I know I wanted to do something so since it was too cold to do a road ride I headed to Washington Crossing state park with the mountain bike. The plan was to ride down the NJ of the canal path to Trenton since that is the only part of the trail that I haven't done yet. While I was approaching Washington Crossing I changed my mind and crossed the bridge to the PA side because when I looked at the map on Friday it looked like there were some interesting things down past Trenton on the PA side.

It was actually pretty sunny as I started south. The temperature was just around freezing. I thought that the path might be mushy and puddley because of the recent rain but it there were only a few spots I had to go around some water.

Just south of Yardley I ran into Jack and Dorthy on their morning walk and talked to them for a few minutes. I then continued on towards Trenton. The trail was in good shape most of the way and made for a nice ride but there was nothing really scenic along the way. When I got to the Trenton I took a picture of the crappy skyline of the capital.



I was planning on doing an out and back on the PA side but I realized I could cross over to Trenton and go back the NJ side. I cross over on the Trenton Makes bridge and then had to find the canal trail in Trenton. I did not have a map or GPS with me so I made a few wrong turns before stumbling into the canal.

The canal trail on this side of Trenton is OK but the architecture of the buildings on the canal is post 1960 semi flooded slum and I was happy to get out of the city. The trail was in decent shape and was not very wet so I made good time back towards Washington Crossing. There is not much to see here and I wouldn't ride this part of the trail for the scenery.

When I got back to the car it had warmed up more than I thought it would and was still sunny. I'm glad I got out and did what I did because it snowed just enough Saturday night to make riding on Sunday not possible.

No comments: