Saturday, February 10, 2018

Riding Through the Winter Weather



The past two weeks the weather has been just good enough to get a ride in. Last week it was 25 degrees and just over my minimum ride temperature. It was too cold and windy for a road ride so we rode the canal by Washington's Crossing. We went up the PA side and down the NJ side. The ground was mostly frozen but rutted from people riding after the preview rain so it was a little bumpy going over frozen tire tracks. The way back on the NJ size was mushier as the weather warmed up so was a little tougher ride. I was warm enough as long as I kept moving. The 21 miles we did was just enough to say I've got a ride in. The accumulation of sand and gravel dust turned to cement on the bike so cleaning up was a bit of a hassle.

This Saturday was warmer and good enough to get out on the road. There was a chance of rain in the forecast in the early afternoon but it look I would be able to get a ride in. I went on Tru's ride. Laura started with me from my house and we met the others at Etra. It was a big group which included Jim who is finally back on the bike after having bronchitis. It was good to see him again. We ended up doing a shorter ride than expected as Tru went from Etra to Princeton Junction and back. I didn't want to cross 130 again so I broke off on South Post Rd to head home after a brief stop at the rowing center.


I would have added a loop to do more miles but we went through a patch of rain and I was worried that more would follow. It turned out to be a good decision as it started raining about 20 mins after I got home.

Neither of these rides were great rides and as always at this point in the winter I have cabin fever and want to do more miles. There is only about a month left until the clocks change and things get warmer so although I am happy to get any riding in at this time of year I am looking forward to warmer weather.  

No comments: