Sunday, March 17, 2024

I Feel Good


Spring is only a couple of days away which means an increase in my rides and miles. I do try to ride as much as I can in winter but it was a cold and rainy winter and I had some health issues that prevented me from doing long rides. I never know how my fitness fared over the winter until I get out and do some longer rides with my posse. 

This Saturday I decided to lead a ride. I only wanted to do around 35 miles but some in the group wanted a few more. Over the winter there were a couple of rides that had cutoffs so those who were not up for the full ride could bail early but still do most of the ride with the group. I liked this option so I created two routes for Saturday one that left from Allentown and another that left from Bordentown. The people that wanted more miles left from Allentown and met me and a few others in Bordentown.  I then lead a ride to Robling and back. Since I did not have a lot of miles this year I was concerned about the pace but I felt good and didn't feel like I had to push myself to keep up. 

We stopped at the Jacksonville Deli which strangely enough is not in or remotely close to Jacksonville (it's actually in Fieldsboro). It's a really crappy rest stop as Eric pointed out as he ate his "staler than shit" donuts but there aren't many other places to stop on this route. 

It was a good sunny day with temperatures close to 60 degrees and a gentle tail wind part of the way. At the end of the ride I had 36 miles and felt as I could have done a few more. I was concerned that my lack of miles this winter would make it harder to get back to my normal miles and speed but after the way I felt today I think I should be able to get back to my normal 40-50 miles rides quicker than I thought.

No comments: