Sunday, June 21, 2020

Lucky Happenstance



Today was one of those days with very unpredictable weather that made it hard to plan a ride. The forecast said rain by noon. I got up a little after 6am and the sun was out. There was nothing on the radar and the hourly forecast said there wasn't a significant chance of rain before noon. I decided that I would head to Cranbury and then do a ride to Englishtown. I sent out an email letting the posse know what I was doing in case anybody wanted to join me.

By the time I left my house I didn't have any takers so no posse no problem I'll just do a solo ride.

I got to Cranbury about 20 after 8 and found Herb sitting there. He was waiting for Bruce. I hadn't see Herb in quite a while so it was good to see him and catch up. Then somebody else walked over to talk to us and it was Ron who was going on Dave's ride at 9am. Bruce rolled in soon after with a new bike. It was one of the new Cannondale Ebikes. I think it was the one of the Synapse Neo models. So now Bruce is now stronger, faster, better (i.e. Bionic Bruce). These bikes are getting more efficient and more practical so I can see these becoming more popular especially for older riders.

Right after Bruce showed up Jack came by. He was planning on going on Prem's ride but apparently he didn't realize Prem's ride was at 8 am not 8:30am. (Not sure how Jack missed it since it was clearly stated in the ride title and ride details) In any case it worked out for everybody as Jack ended up going with me on my loop to Englishtown. It was suppose to be a 40 mile loop but when it didn't look like it would rain as early as expected I added a few more miles and visited the lake in the Assumpink. As you can see from the picture above there were no rain clouds in site when we got there around 11:30am.

On our way back as we crossed 130 on Windsor Rd we ran into Herb and Bruce again as they were heading home. We road with them along Windsor.Then Jack took off for home as we headed up South Lane,  We ended up having to turn around. Some car had hit a telephone pole and there were live wires across the road. I ended up going back to Windsor and up Old Trenton to get home. I ended up with just over 50 miles.

So though some lucky happenstance my solo ride ended up not being solo and I got to catch up with a few people I haven't seen in a while so sometimes unplanned circumstance make for a good day.

No comments: