Wednesday, March 4, 2009

When Animals Attack!

Ok, I really didn't get attacked by any animals but did have a close run in with a few deer so I couldn't resist the title.

On our way out of Etra Park this weekend we ran into some deer as we cruised along Disbrow Hill Rd. At first we saw a couple of deer running across the road about 20 feet in front of us. Then a couple of more ran across the road. I slowed down and scanned both sides of the road. I saw a couple more deer ready to cross the road so I yelled at them. Although this stop them from crossing the road it made them more nervious. So now the deer were walking parallel to me as I kept creeping along. My yelling also had the unintended side effect of spooking out a few more deer in the woods who ran out a few feet in front of me.

At this point the others riding with me had fallen back so I was alone surrounded by about 10 deer on both sides. It felt strange having that many deer watching me. I kept both eyes open as I kept creeping along hoping they won't jump in front of me. After a slow couple of hundred feet they were behind me and we continued along. I have had a couple of other close calls with deer but have never seen this many at one time.

We also had another interesting animal encounter during our ride. As we road through Cream Ridge we passed a farm with a bunch of horses. Most horses I normally see are just grazing in the field. These horses however were all laying down. They looked tired and disheveled. I suggested that these horses looked like they just go beat up by the Budweiser Clydesdales. So we ride along another couple of miles and what do we see... a Clydesdale pulling a couple people in a wagon with a dog sitting in it. It looks like the Budweiser commercial where the Clydesdale is training to become part of the team. It was a pretty funny coincidence.

No comments: