Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's Getting Cold Outside


Click Here for more Fall Foliage Pictures

It's that time of year when the riding season is winding down. Even though we haven't changed the clock yet it's already too dark to ride at night. It's also starting to get cold.

I don't have a hard limit of what type of cold weather that I will ride in but once it gets down around 35 or 40 degrees I have second thoughts about going for a ride.

We have been relatively lucky so far on the weekends. A couple of weeks ago I had a ride out of Etra Park. It was about 45 at the start and didn't get much about 55 but the Sun made it feel a little warmer than it was. We did the coffee run to New Egypt which ended up being a nice ride except for the wind on the way back.

I was very busy this past weekend and didn't have time to organize or join one of the club rides so I ended up just going out on my own for a quick 50 miles on Sunday. Although it gets a little lonely after about 30 miles I do enjoy the occasional long ride by myself. I don't have to worry about dropping people or looking like I know where I'm going. I'm free to get lost at my own pace and just enjoy some solitude on the bike. Sunday started out a little cold with wet road from the night before but as the morning when on the roads dried out and it ended up close to 60.

The foliage is close to peak now so I took the opportunity to take some pictures to capture the colors. No picture can really do justice to the scenery but I keep trying any way.

Even though I was riding by myself I almost always run into other riders. I ran into a couple groups of people and road with them for 5 and 6 miles each. It's fun trading stories with strangers and sharing the road for a few miles.

Although we are closing in on winter I will continue to try to get out on weekends when I can. I have a couple of rides in the book for November as long as the weather is good. After I will just do ad hoc rides when the weather is warm enough.

No comments: