Sunday, October 6, 2024

Sunflowers and Dahlias

 

The early fall season is some of the best time to go out and enjoy the outdoors. I took an extra day off this week to do some photography. Holland Ridge Farms has a sunflower festival in the fall that I wanted to go to. The farm is on Rue Rd and we have passed it numerous times on our bike rides but I didn't really realize how big the sunflower festival was until some of my friend in the community told me about it. The has acres and acres of sunflowers 

 

and a small section of other types of flowers like gladiolas and dahlias. The festival is mostly a family event. Besides the acres of flowers they have food trucks, hayrides, photo booths and other activities. I wasn't really interested in any of the activities but just wanted to go and take some photos. I got there early and walked to the far end of the farm (which was farther than I thought) to try and get a panoramic photo of the sunflower fields.  

I have never seen so many sunflowers in one field before. It was overwhelming and the picture doesn't real convey what I saw. There were also many different types if sunflowers from small short ones to tall ones that were the size of a car tire. 

I took a lot of pictures of the sunflowers including some with bees on them.

I now have a full portfolio of sunflower pictures so if you need one let me know. 

The best pictures I got were not of the sunflowers but of the dahlias. There are so many varieties of dahlias that they don't look like the same type of flower. 

 

I really like the geometric pattern of the orange one. I also got a good picture of a bee on one of them.

I have been working on my technique for flower photography and I am finally getting results that I'm proud of. I still have more room for improvement but that will just take more practice and will give me more excuses to spent more time outside in some arboretums and gardens.




No comments: