Thursday, March 23, 2023

Spring is Here!


After spending a couple weeks in Florida where is was in the 80s it was a little tough to come back to NJ where is has been in the 40s. Luckily last Saturday it warmed up into the upper 50s. I managed to convince most of the Insane Posse to follow me out of Etra Park for a 42 mile ride. Here is the route

Although it was warm it was a little windy but it felt good to be out riding again after being off the bike for almost 3 weeks. It was also good to catch up with everybody and talk about my vacation. By the end of the ride I was feeling the effect of not being on the bike and was a little worn out. 

Spring officially arrived on Monday so that means the weather is getting warmer and there shouldn't be much chance of snow so I should be able to get out more and start build some miles. This past Wednesday I decided to do a solo ride on the Henry Hudson trail. I started from Freehold and headed out the Keyport and back on this route

The Henry Hudson trail is paved so I used my road bike. It was an overcast day but warm. The trail was mostly empty so it was a relaxing easy ride. The trail does cross a number of streets where you have to slow down and check for traffic. I know some people find this annoying but I was in no hurry so I didn't mind it. The trail is not completely finished so there is one part that you have to take to the streets. There are a couple of streets you can take to get back to the trail. I didn't like the way I took last time so tried a different route which was much better. This also brought me by a garden center which was obviously ready for Easter.

The trail goes all the way to Sandy Hook but I stopped at Keyport and headed down to the bay  for a look at Sandy Hook and the Verrazano Bridge before heading back. 

I'm sure there will still be a few cold days of riding ahead but I'm glad spring has arrived and I can look forward to some warmer and longer rides. 

No comments: