Sunday, May 8, 2011

Attack Turkey Must Die

Click here for more Pictures

This past weekend Chris, Jeff and I headed to the Quad County Metric in Green Lane PA. I wanted to do this ride to map out some rides in this area. The weather was good so there were already a lot of people there when we arrived.

We decided to do the 45 mile ride with an option to add 8 more hilly miles if we wanted. The first few miles were pretty hilly nothing really steep but there was a lot more up than down.

At around 8 miles at the top of a long slow climb was a turkey who seemed really pissed will all the bikers going by. I stopped, took a few pictures then had to quickly pedal away as he started coming after me. I told him that I'll see him on Thanksgiving... on my plate.

After the first 10 miles things leveled off and we even had a few down hills. Jeff was complaining that there was some thing wrong with his gloves since the gel pads were on not on the palm side of the gloves. "Umh, maybe you put them on backwards" I said. Which is what he did and felt a little stupid about it. The main reason I knew he had them on backwards was that I had the same gloves and knew it was easy to put them on backwards since the closure is on the bottom of the wrist instead of the top. I took a picture of the gloves on wrong just to make sure Jeff can not deny this in the future.

At mile 13 we had to make a decision whether to do the extra 8 hilly miles or not. NOT! Its just too early in the season and we didn't know how hard the rest of the ride would be. The middle of the ride wasn't bad and had some killer downhills. The food was pretty good at the rest stop with a lot of home made food including potatos which is something I had never seen at a ride before.

After the rest stop we had some nice rides along some rivers and some more climbing here and there. It was a clear sunny day and the scenery was nice. There were a couple of long slow climbs. Nothing really difficult but this route had very few flat spots we were either going up or down hill and I don't think I ever shifted more on any other ride I have done.

By the end of the ride we had done around 3800 feet of climbing in 46 miles. We were tired but didn't feel real bad. They had some decent food when we got back and we ended up meeting a few people from the Princeton freewheelers after lunch. All in all is was good day and I'm glad I did the event. It is always fun to get out and do different rides. The Suburban Cyclist did a good job with this event and I'm looking forward to doing the Lake Noxamixon ride at the end of August. If you are intested in joining me you can check out the ride at their web site

No comments: