Sunday, January 14, 2024

The Theraputic Value of Cycling

When I was working on my Road Biking NJ book I did a ride on Long Beach Island to map out a ride there. About 5 miles into the ride I met a man who was recovering from a heart attack and was doing his first ride since he had open heart surgery. We spent about a hour or so riding together on a warm summer day. He was just so happy to be back on the bike that he exuded the joy that all of us feel when we ride. I really enjoyed swapping bike stories and experiences with him. He also showed me some of the better roads to use on LBI. It was one of my favorite experiences in writing the book and reminded me how much biking really means to me. 

Yesterday I did a short local ride that sucked. It was warm for a winter day but the roads were wet with branches scatter across my path. It was extremely windy and I still have some health issues that make riding hard. However no matter what the conditions riding always makes me feel better. 

For me riding is more than just a way to exercise it is a way to relieve stress and improve my mental well being. When I ride, especially when I do a solo ride, I get time to get away from any problems I'm having and just focus on riding and the scenery around me. For me it is a form of meditation that helps me connect with what is really important and helps me get rid of negative emotions. I know the more I ride the better I feel. 

There have been many studies that show the benefits of exercise. It not only improves your health by reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, help you sleep better, and healthy weight but it has been shown to reduce depression and other mental diseases. 

There is also the social aspect of biking. I'm lucky that I found some like minded people who join me on some of my rides and have become my friends. I don't know who I would be without cycling as it is an integral part of my life. I'm just glad I found something that helps me navigate the ups and downs of life.

No comments: