Monday, October 30, 2023

The Last Day of Summer

I know that we are halfway through the fall but when the weather is sunny and the temperature is over 80 it feels more like a summer day. Luckily this weather fell on this past Saturday which somewhat makes up for it raining for the last 7 weekends. 

I thought about a couple of ways of taking advantage of the weather and decided to do a one way ride to the shore to meet my wife on the beach. I didn't have to ride alone because the many times postponed Don Sprague century to Belmar was starting from Cranbury with Laura and Ricky and a few other people I know so I decided to meet them at a rest stop in Jackson on the way. 

The timing worked out as I couldn't leave until after 9am. I was at the rest stop about 15 mins before the large group of riders pulled in. It looked like at least 20 people were on the ride. The actual ride leader had to bail at the last minute because of a family issues so Laura had to lead one of the groups. Although Laura knows the usual route to Belmar this route was quite different and not like any ride Don ever did to Belmar. It came into Sea Girt a slightly different way on a bike trail and then went all the way up the coast to Sea Bright before heading back east. 

Most rides to Belmar don't spend that much time riding by the beach because the road aren't as nice and there can be a lot of traffic especially on a warm and sunny Saturday. The group made a few wrong turns as we went from Jackson to Belmar. I didn't actually have the century route on my GPS but had looked it over in detail and knew the general directions so when the group made a wrong turn I helped Laura get back on track. 

When we got to Belmar we spend an extended time at the picnic tables by the usual pizzeria. It was very crowded by the beach. There were a lot of people on the beach and a lot of cars driving around looking for a parking spot. It was a little chaotic. 

For some reason one of the rides decided to try to do some body surfing in the water before we set off from Belmar. We left him behind to catch up. I continued up with the group through Ocean Grove and Asbury. It was not a lot of fun riding along the beach as we made a number of wrong turns and had to keep watching out for all the traffic around us.

I turned around at Asbury and headed back to Avon for a shower and then to the beach to relax for a hour or two before heading out to dinner. 

It was a beautiful day for a ride so was glad I got out and saw some of the fall foliage on the way to the beach. We are going to be below freezing a couple of nights this week so I think the summer weather may be done for the year. In fact it might be time to break out the winter gear.

No comments: