Sunday, February 9, 2020

Midwinter Beach Break



Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow this year which means an early spring. Now the little rodent isn't really that accurate but if you believe him then we are probably half way through the winter riding season. So far this season the weather has been on the warmer side with almost no snow. I have only been on the mountain bike once so far this year and the rest of the time I have been able to be on the road.

After a couple of weeks doing Jim's ride from Blackwells Mill I opted for a solo ride to the shore. We had to put a new furnace in our place in Avon a couple of months ago and wanted to head back there to make sure it was all still working.

It was good to do a solo no pressure ride where I could go at my own pace and stop where I wanted. It was a cold day and just warm enough for me to do a road ride. It was sunny though and I had a good west wind to blow me to the shore so once I got a few miles in I was warm enough and it was an easy ride. Since I have done the route to Avon many times there is not much thinking involved so I can relax and enjoy winter scenery such as it was. Although I usually like doing long rides with a group I don't mind occasionally doing a long solo rides where I can into a meditative state and de-stress a little.

Of course it was still a Tom ride because there was an unexpected bridge out. On Ocean Ave about a quarter mile from the finish the drawbridge that goes across the Shark River inlet was being repaired which means the bridge was up with no way to get across and swimming across the inlet with its fast moving current was not an option. This mean a two mile detour at the end of the ride.

After a little maintenance work at the condo it was off to Hoffman's for a well deserved dish of ice cream before heading home by car. If the weather for second half of the winter season is anything like it has been so far it means my mountain bike won't get much use and I may get good base of miles in before spring time arrives.

No comments: