Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Bike Rally



This memorial day week was one of the better ones we have had weather wise this year. Saturday was cloudy but a cool 70 degrees with no chance of rain. I had put a ride, on the calendar, out of Bull's Island to climb a few hills and see a few covered bridges. Its one of the rides I use to see how well I can climb. We did this route which looks a little hillier than it is.

I was joined by Jim, Bob, Ricky, Jack, Lorrie (last seen on the Lying Bastard ride) and Mike back for a visit after sailing the high seas. It was an easy climb up to Carversville before we headed up Wiener road which has two steep climbs close together that usually gets my heart rate close to max. From there we headed through three different covered bridges which requires a series of ups and downs. The climbs are not very steep or long but they add up after a while. This is a scenic ride with some decent downhills so I do enjoy this route. Mike bail after about 10 miles as he has not been riding much but it was good to see him and hear about how he has been doing.

We had one last long but easy climb up Upper Tinicum Rd to get to the ridge above Milford. Then it was a death defying decent down Bridgeton Rd to our stop in Black Eddy. We apparently weren't the only bikers out for a ride as Homestead was packed with them. There was at least 25 other bikers there and out numbered the other people there. We ended up talking to a couple of the other rides and traded stories.

Then it was over the river to the NJ side and up the hill to Sky Manor. Once there we rode along the ridge which was relatively flat. The last part of the ride came down Federal Twist back to our start. I ended up with over 3000 feet of climbing. I made it through the ride but felt slow so will definitely do some more hilly rides to keep building my hill muscles.

Monday was the all pace ride. I went there to see a few people I don't normally see. It was good catching up with everybody. I ended up on Ron's ride but bailed out just after 10 miles since I wanted to do a little shorter ride. Jack came along with me. We ended up stopping at Roy's. When we got there it appeared most of the other rides stopped there too. It looked like a bike rally with at least 4 different groups of riders. We didn't hang around too long as I had some projects to finish at home.

This was definitely the weekend to go riding as everybody was out. Now that it is unofficially summer let's hope we have more weekends like this.

No comments: