Sunday, April 8, 2018

Last Winter Ride?

Two weeks into spring and it still feels like winter. The Saturday snow storm did not materialize but it still was in the low 40s for a high. I put a ride on the calendar for Sunday which was slightly warm than Saturday. I decided to do the ride out of Cranbury because I have been doing a lot or rides to the south and wanted something different.

I road to Cranbury from my house and was joined by Laura and Jack. When we got to Village Park there was a larger crowd than expected. I ended up with a bakers dozens of riders including Winter Larry. This is the larges group I have lead in a while. I made up a slightly new route that I haven't done before. I did this because I wanted to try some new roads and also keep the group off balance so they won't ride too far ahead.

The temperature was still in the low 40s and didn't get warmer during the ride. This won't have been too bad expect for the fact that is was very windy and we were riding directly into it. Some of the roads we were riding on were busier than I normally do but being Sunday there were only a few spots that gave us any trouble.

The group stayed together pretty well considering there were a lot of different types of riders. Because of the way I went around Jamesburg it was a long way to the rest stop and we got there with 32 miles into the ride. We stopped at the Wawa on Rt 33 by Woodward Rd. It was packed with a bunch of kids from the indoor soccer field next store but there was enough staff to get us out of there fast.

The wind pick up after we left the rest stop and I was definitely slowing down a little. The last few miles into Cranbury were hard but the last 5 miles home were with a tale wind. By the time I got back to my house I had 57 miles. It was a tough cold ride but hopefully it will be the last winter ride of the season as it looks like the temperatures might be over 60 next week.

No comments: