Sunday, January 28, 2018

Winter Respite


We got a break from the cold weather over the last couple of weekends. Last weekend it made it to the mid 40s and I got out on Tru's ride where I was joined by a few regulars. Because I rode in to the ride from my house I ended up getting in 48 miles. This weekend the weather forecast was even better. It was going to start out a little cold but end up in the mid 50s. Because the Prince Freewheeler ride calendar has now caught up with the internet age I can post rides at a moment notice. So I  posted a ride to the pine barrens and sent out mail to the usual suspects.

It was 35 degrees when we started but sunny and given the cold weather we had in the beginning of January it felt balmy. I got some of the regulars to join me including Chris, Laura, Bob, Pete and even got Jack to come out of hibernation and join us.

This was the first long ride of the season so we went off at a modest pace especially because of a constant head wind. That and the fact that Jack had found a cut in his side wall before starting out. He put a couple patches on the inside of the tire and even wrapped the outside of the tire with duct tape. None of us were sure if it would hold or not but it didn't pop in the first few miles so that was a good sign that it might last until the end of the ride.

The weather warmed up quick as the head wind also picked up. At Smithville there was a bridge out but it was no problem riding over it. If fact it didn't look like they had made any progress on it since we came by this way last summer so it may be out for a long time.

We made our way through Vincetown and eventually to the Wawa in Browns Mill. I had an option for a few extra miles but we were all a little tired so we came back the direct route. The wind was still strong but mostly at our backs until the last 4 miles. Although we kept a modest pace I was feeling the lack of miles and felt that I was on the edge of cramping. It may have felt like a spring day but my legs knew it was mid winter.We ended up with 51 miles which is long for this time of year but you have to take advantage of the good weather when it comes around.

No comments: