Sunday, April 10, 2016

My Ride Signature




Thought no fault of my own the rides I lead have a certain set of characteristics that make them unique. If you come on my ride you have a good chance of seeing a bridge out sign and/or making some type of detour on dirt. Sometimes you get both like today.

I had a Pinelands cruise scheduled for Saturday but rain and cold made me move it to Sunday. Sunday was sunny but still cold. It was barely 40 degrees at the start and didn't warm up much. Laura, Jim and Jack joined me. It wasn't any near as windy as last week but what wind we had was in our face for most of the ride.

I had a 52 mile ride planned with  45 mile option if it turned out too cold. Once we got going it was warm enough to go for the long ride. It was cold enough that most of the horses we saw had coats. A few had some really cool coats with peace signs and zebra strips.

After a stop a the Wawa in Vincenttown we headed back. I had planned to go up Birmingham Rd to Arney's Mount but there was a bridge out sign. As most people know I can usually get around any bridge out as there is usually a way to get across that the workmen use.  This time however besides a small wooden 2x6 that won't hold the weight of my bike let alone me there was really no way to get across.

I looked at the map and found a bike path, just behind us, that would get us back on the route. I wasn't sure what kind of surface the trail had but it turned out to be hard packed sand so it was ridable on a road bike.



A couple of miles later we were back on the road again and to the top of Arney's Mount. All in all it wasn't a bad detour and only added a mile to the ride. By the time I got back I was tired but glad I decided to do the ride.

No comments: