Monday, January 19, 2015

I Have a Theme...

For the score of years that I have been riding it has come to my attention that there is a great inequality between those who can climb hills and those who avoid them. Some may say that this is due to genetics or socioeconomic factors. I reject this bias view and believe that all bikers are created equal and can rise to any heights they want.

Every year I have a goal that drives the type rides I do and how I train. A couple years ago my goal was to climb Mt Greylock, the highest point in Massachusetts. It turns out that I have been to most of the high points of the states that I have ridden in. This has given me an idea for this year. Not only do I want to go to the high point of New Jersey, again, but I also want to try to visit the high point of each county. There will probably be some counties like Hudson, Union and Essex where getting to the high point by bike would be inadvisable but we should be able to hit most of them.

This should make for some interesting rides. We will start with some of the lower and closer ones first then work our way up to High Point by the end of the summer. There will definitely be some trials and tough climbs along the way but if you join me on this march we shall over come the forces of gravity. Then you will be free at last, free at last to explore any road you want and not live in fear of any mountain


With apologies to Martin Luther King

Amen