Saturday, January 28, 2012

Snow Biking 2012

Click Here for more Pictures

I haven't really minded the lack of snow this winter and the lack of having to remove it from my driveway. Last weekend we did have a little taste of winter. The 2 inches of snow was nothing more than a minor annoyance but it did make the landscape look nicer.

Even before the snow stopped falling I got an email from Chris to go snow biking. Riding around the woods and over logs is tough enough when the ground is clear and dry. Add snow and ice and mountain biking becomes even more challenging but is also a whole lot of fun.

Unfortunately I couldn't make it out with Chris and Mike because snow biking is fun but it is even better when your friends are laughing at you as you fall on your ass. Last year my second mountain bike ride was snow biking with Chris and Mike and although I came away with some bruises it was one of my favorite rides of the year.

With the lack of snowfall this year I wanted to make sure I got out in the snow since this may be my only opportunity this year. 2-4 inches of snow is perfect for snow biking any deeper and its almost impossible to ride through. Riding on snow is not easy because you have a lot less traction so as I started out of the Edinburg parking lot at MCP I ask questioned my ability and wondered if this was going to be as fun as I remembered.

After a few hundred yards I adjusted to the conditions and started to relax and enjoy it. I still am not very good a mountain biking but I did manage to hop over a few logs and not have any major falls. Snow makes everything look better especially the small creeks in MCP park so I made sure I stopped to took a few pictures. I wasn't the only insane person out in the ice and snow I ran across a number of people walking their does and even a couple of people doing some cross country skiing. I was only out for over an hour but it was enough to reaffirm the joy of biking in the snow.

Winter has been very warm and snow free which has made it easy to keep riding on the road but I hope we get a few more small storms this year because I would like to do a little more snow biking this year.

No comments: