Sunday, August 1, 2010

It's Just a Flesh Wound

Riding is very safe sport if you keep your equipment in shape and follow some common sense. If you ride a lot however eventually you will make some mental mistake or come across something in the road that will cause you to take a fall. The result is usually a little road rash and a new story to tell.

This past Saturday I did an adhoc ride with Laura, Cheryl, Chris and Blake. This was a route that Blake came up with that gave me a chance to continue to break in the new Cannondale since it was going to be a hilly ride. The route started in the CVS in Lamberville and went up to Milford on the Jersey side then came back on the PA side. If you want the details of the route I have posted a ridesheet here

For once the weather was perfect, clear mild and no wind. From Lambertville we climbed up the familiar roads to the ridge then cruised along some roads that I hadn't been on before. It was just a perfect day for a ride and the route and the group made this a really enjoyable ride.

At Milford we crossed over to the PA side and had a rest stop at nice general store on Bridgeton Hill Rd. After the stop we headed up the toughest climb of the ride. It's a 400 ft climb that has grades in the ~10-12% range. I totally flub the down shift at the start of the climb. I tried to switch to the lowest front chain ring while trying to up shift on the rear cassette. I ended up in way too high a gear and came to a complete stop. After I got the bike back in to the correct gears for the climb I continued up the hill which was pretty tough. Still I am getting use to the gearing of the Cannondale and really starting to get a good feel on how it climbs.

The PA side of the Delaware has a lot more ups and downs than the Jersey side after a while on the ridge we had to come back to the river and then head back up to the ridge on Dark Hollow. Dark Hollow is a long shallow climb that never seems to end but I actually enjoyed it once I got into a rhythm.

We headed back down the ridge down by Stover Park. Blake warn us that this was a tough decent and to be careful. I kept is slow but probably not as slow as I should because I came around an inside of one of the corners and ran into a pile of gravel. I tried to wrestle the bike through the turn but I had too much momentum and the gravel was too deep. I went down in a semi controlled way and tried to keep the new bike from hitting too hard. It was a relatively slow fall and I slid for about 10 feet in the gravel sand mix. The fall really didn't jar me too much but I came down pretty hard on my elbow and hip and could feel the burn of some road rash.

I yelled back to the rest of the group about the gravel. Luckily Chris took the turn slower and wider than I did so he missed the gravel. The only thing worst than falling is having somebody else ride over you. Chis also yell back that I was down so everybody else missed me and the gravel.

I got up and dusted myself off. The slide had caused some gravel to slide up and into my shorts which didn't feel good. I had a deep gash on my elbow that was bleeding but not real bad and some road rash on my thigh and side of my knee. After every asked me if I was OK their next reaction was hey let's take some pictures of bloody Tom to post on the Internet. This makes be think that if I every have a more serious accident on the road, there would be a chalk outline of my dead and mangled body and bike on Internet before my wife got word :-)

I cleaned my self up as best I could. I had some bandaids but they won't stick though the sweat and blood on my arm. The road rash burnt a little but it really didn't stop me from continuing to enjoy the ride. The most important thing here was the bike was fine and only had a little tear in the handlebar tape as a result of the fall.

In another 5 miles we were in Carversville at another general store where I cleaned most of the sand and gravel out of my wounds. Cheryl was getting tired of climbing since she had taught a spinning class the night before so we took the easy way back to avoid the hills.

The hot shower after the ride got the rest of the dirt out of my wounds and felt great. The road rash is still ugly. It feels like a mild sunburn and will take a few weeks to heal. Despite the accident the bike and I are doing fine will be back in the road in a couple of days.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Today must be a "fall" day. Check out my blog http://2wdave.blogspot.com/ . Glad you love the Cannondale Synapse!


Dave